Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Buns on Buns on Buns




Ahhh I love buns! The go-to for when you haven't washed your hair for three days...wait...what?! They're fabulous because you look super chic, they take 30 seconds (unless you decide to do a crazy braid...above...) AND you're most likely going to get a compliment. Boom.

So lets explore the multiple ways of a sock bun - minus using an actual sock. I don't find it appealing to put a sock in your hair, plus - I haven't run into many long blonde colored socks lately.

Let's stick to the $5 mesh thing some genius invented and is now making loads of money. As I just discovered when I typed into Google "sock bun mesh thing," the technical term is "Mesh Chignon." Fancy! You can purchase one for around $4 at Sally Beauty. They're also at Charming Charlies, Claire's, and I'm sure Walgreen's and Walmart are carrying them now too.


Top Left Bun - Good for shorter hair
Step 1: Place your hair in a pony tail - I like mine a bit higher because they look better straight on
Step 2: Pull hair through the donut until at the top of the head
Step 3: Allow your hair to fall over the donut - covering it so you can't see it
Step 4: Place an additional hair band over the hair covering the bun
Step 5: separate the excess into two sections and pin around bun.

Simple and cute! I feel like a ballerina with this one

Top Middle Bun - Medium to long hair
Step 1: Put your hair up in a pony tail - preferably higher
Step 2: Pull hair through the donut until at the top of the head
Step 3: Slowly slide the donut back up your pony tail (to get all the strands in) and hold the donut and hair at the end farthest away from you:
Step 4: Slowly roll the rest of your hair and donut down towards your head. It's ok if it's not perfect - but keep shoving your hair into the ring
Step 5: I always end up twisting my bun around to hide the mesh and keep tucking

Little more skill set required, but this is my favorite bun because it's big! I personally like it a little loose and messy too. Go for the, "Doesn't look hard, but kind of was, relaxed, yet put together" look


Top Right Bun - Long hair
This one isn't easy to do, but it's so gorgeous. I will do my best to explain - I wish it was easier to take pictures of the back of your head

Step 1: Part your hair down the middle
Step 2: Where the part ends and the hair falls the way it does to the back - begin parting your hair down on each side - the same width that your neck is
Step 3: Tie that in a low pony
Step 4: With the excess hair - Put it up like you would the start of any normal bun like above - put in pony
Step 5: THE TRICKY PART - flip over and let the low pony out - start french braiding the back of your head all the way to the ends - put a little clip or bobby pin to prevent it from coming out
Step 6: Make middle bun above.
Step 7: Wrap the braid around your bun
VoilĂ !!!



1 comment: